‘Black adds a sense of luxury and value.
The darker the tone, the more lux it is, says our internal color psychology. An article from Lifescript describes black as “elegance, sophistication, power,” which is exactly what luxury designers and high-end e-commerce sites want you to feel. The article goes on to describe black as the color of “timeless, classic” which helps further explain the use of black in high-value products.
In a Business Insider piece on color and branding, the author relates the significance of black:
“Black can also be seen as a luxurious color. ‘Black, when used correctly can communicate glamour, sophistication, exclusivity.’”
Louis Vuitton handbags are not cheap. Absent from the site are colors and designs of whimsy and fun. This is serious value:
Citizen Watch, better than the average Timex, also uses the dark-tone website design:
Lamborghini does the same thing. Black is the name of the game:
If you are selling high-value luxury consumer items on your website, black probably would be a good choice.’
Jeremy Smith (2014) How to Use the Psychology of Color to Increase Website Conversions. [Online] Available from: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/psychology-of-color-and-conversions/ [Accessed 3 December 2015].
My business is selling high quality clothing and footwear, with some products exceeding £100, I’ve used black and white because i want my website to have a luxury feel, sophisticated and exclusive element. Although on my homepage i have added slight colour by using pictures which relate to the type of products the business sells, however they are dull colours such as brown, dark green and dark reds.
However i could have incorporated more colours into my website, especially colours such as Oranges, Greens Reds and Brown because they all symbolize different things which could be associated with my website and brand.
- ‘Red: energy, passion, excitement, power; also implies aggression, danger.
- Blue: coolness, spirituality, freedom, patience, loyalty, peace, trustworthiness; can also imply sadness, depression.
- Yellow: light, optimism, happiness, brightness, joy.
- Green: life, naturalness, restfulness, health, wealth, prosperity; in certain contexts, can imply decay, toxicity.
- Orange: friendliness, warmth, approachability, energy, playfulness, courage.
- Violet: wisdom, sophistication, celebration.
- White: purity, cleanliness, youth, freshness, peace.
- Black: power, elegance, secrecy, mystery.
- Gray: security, maturity, reliability.
- Pink: romance a feminine color.
- Brown: comfort, strength, stability, credibility.’
Avangate (2008) Choosing the right colours for your web site. [Online] Available from: http://www.avangate.com/avangate-resources/article/color-web-site.htm [Accessed 3 December 2015].